Applying to the Gibbons Family Trust


Grants from this Trust are given to assist children and young people under the age of 25 that live in  Devon (with a preference for East Devon), and / or the Isle of Thanet in Kent.

Grants are made at the discretion of the Trustees for a wide variety of reasons.  The Trust Deed asks the Trustees to consider the ‘care, benefit, support, education, or otherwise for the welfare of children and young persons’.  Trustees can

  • ‘Award grants to charitable residential and day care establishments for children and young people, including those who are disabled’;
  • ‘Award grants for or towards the maintenance and educational advancement, training and recreation of children and young people’.

Grants are not made for the following reasons:

  1. Any fees payable of an ongoing nature (such as regular payments for education),
  2. To individuals for trips overseas for any reason,
  3. To private schools,
  4. For retrospective funding,
  5. If a grant has already been made within the last 12 months.

The Gibbons Family Trust is a registered charity and you can find more information on the Charity Commission’s website HERE (opens in new window/tab)


Recent grant information

The following grants were made in the financial years up to 31st March: –




Value of grants made £82,655 £87,322 £83,065
Number of grants made 61 75 69
Average size grant for organisations and charities £1,355 £1,354 £1,406
Average size grant for individuals £561 £516 £477
Number of applications received 70 84 88
Success rate of applications 91% 89% 78%


Payment of grants

The Trust no longer uses cheques to make grant payments.  All applications,  whether charity, organisation, or individual, will need to supply bank identification with EVERY application.  This bank identification  must show the account name, the account number and the sort code.  This ID is shredded once the application has been processed. 

In addition the Gibbons Family Trust DOES NOT make grant payments directly to individuals, a third party is required to receive the grant payment on the individual’s behalf.  That third party (such as Housing Association, University, service provider, Council) must be able to provide bank details to us. 


Please click here to read in more detail about applying –

Application Forms